Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program
- Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program
The Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program (TEDP) lends telecommunications devices at no cost to qualifying New Mexico residents who need assistance in communicating on the phone.
The Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program (TEDP) is an integral program of the State of New Mexico Commission for Deaf & Hard of Hearing. Established by the Telecommunications Access Act, the TED Program provides equipment to qualified New Mexicans every year.
NMCDHH offers devices including amplified telephones, iPads, speech-generating devices, neck loops and more through our awarded provider, Teltex, Inc. There is no cost to New Mexico residents who meet the following requirements:
- You must have a total household income of $50,000 or less.
- You must have a landline telephone for an amplified phone or internet for an iPad.
- You must be a New Mexico resident.
- You must have a documented hearing loss or speech loss.
To qualify for the iPad Program, there is specific purpose and criteria for receiving a device:
The primary purpose of the TEDP is telecommunications and the secondary purpose is communications. If you select an iPad, be sure to read the specific iPad instructions listed on the application.
Below are the criteria of how the iPad can be used under the purposes of the TEDP.
Individuals can use the iPad to:
- Access telecommunications via Video Relay Service (VRS). For example, Convo, Sorenson nTouch, Z5.
- Access telecommunications via IP Captioned Telephone Service (IP CTS). For example, CaptionCall, InnoCaption, CaptionMate.
- Access telecommunications via Video Calls such as Facetime or Skype.
- Access telecommunications via Alternative Augmentative Communication Applications (AAC). For example, Proloquo2Go, iSpeech TTS, TouchChat.
- Access communications via email.
- Access communications via iMessage.
Additional information and details about the Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program, eligibility for the program, information about technical support, and Teltex can be found in the catalogs linked below in English and Spanish.
NMCDHH TEDP Catalog PDF – English
NMCDHH TEDP Catalog PDF – Spanish
The Application and more details can be found on the Application page – scroll to the bottom of that page to download the application.